The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads

 

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Cox, S
dc.contributor.author Brown, R
dc.contributor.author Millar, A
dc.contributor.author Numanoglu, A
dc.contributor.author Alexander, A
dc.contributor.author Theron, A
dc.date.accessioned 2019-03-11T13:34:50Z
dc.date.available 2019-03-11T13:34:50Z
dc.date.issued 2014
dc.identifier.citation Cox, S., Brown, R., Millar, A., Numanoglu, A., Alexander, A., & Theron, A. (2014). The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads. SAMJ: South African Medical Journal, 104(4), 277-278.
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/11427/29913
dc.description.abstract Accidental ingestion of foreign bodies is a common problem in children. Magnetic bead toys are hazardous, having potentially lethal consequences if ingested. These magnets conglomerate in different segments of bowel, causing pressure necrosis, perforation and/or fistula formation anywhere along the gastrointestinal tract. A clinical diagnostic pitfall is that the appearance on the initial abdominal radiograph may be misinterpreted by the uninitiated as a single metallic object without any intervening intestinal wall. Symptoms do not occur until complications have developed, and even then, unless magnet ingestion is suspected, treatment may initially be mistakenly expectant, as with any other foreign body. After observing a case of multiple magnet ingestion that led to the rapid onset of small-bowel inter-loop fistulas and peritonitis, we attempted to reproduce the likely sequence of events in a laboratory setting using fresh, post-mortem porcine bowel as an animal model and placing magnetic toy beads within the bowel lumen. Pressure-induced perforation appeared extremely rapidly, replicating the operative findings in two of our cases. We propose that if magnet ingestion is suspected, early endoscopic or surgical retrieval is mandatory. Appropriate, rapid surgical intervention is indicated. Laparoscopy offers a minimally invasive therapeutic option.
dc.language.iso eng
dc.source South African Medical Journal
dc.source.uri http://www.samj.org.za
dc.subject.other gastrointestinal injury
dc.title The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads
dc.type Journal Article
dc.date.updated 2019-03-11T10:11:53Z
dc.publisher.faculty Faculty of Health Sciences
dc.publisher.department Department of Paediatrics and Child Health
dc.identifier.apacitation Cox, S., Brown, R., Millar, A., Numanoglu, A., Alexander, A., & Theron, A. (2014). The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads. <i>South African Medical Journal</i>, http://hdl.handle.net/11427/29913 en_ZA
dc.identifier.chicagocitation Cox, S, R Brown, A Millar, A Numanoglu, A Alexander, and A Theron "The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads." <i>South African Medical Journal</i> (2014) http://hdl.handle.net/11427/29913 en_ZA
dc.identifier.vancouvercitation Cox S, Brown R, Millar A, Numanoglu A, Alexander A, Theron A. The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads. South African Medical Journal. 2014; http://hdl.handle.net/11427/29913. en_ZA
dc.identifier.ris TY - AU - Cox, S AU - Brown, R AU - Millar, A AU - Numanoglu, A AU - Alexander, A AU - Theron, A AB - Accidental ingestion of foreign bodies is a common problem in children. Magnetic bead toys are hazardous, having potentially lethal consequences if ingested. These magnets conglomerate in different segments of bowel, causing pressure necrosis, perforation and/or fistula formation anywhere along the gastrointestinal tract. A clinical diagnostic pitfall is that the appearance on the initial abdominal radiograph may be misinterpreted by the uninitiated as a single metallic object without any intervening intestinal wall. Symptoms do not occur until complications have developed, and even then, unless magnet ingestion is suspected, treatment may initially be mistakenly expectant, as with any other foreign body. After observing a case of multiple magnet ingestion that led to the rapid onset of small-bowel inter-loop fistulas and peritonitis, we attempted to reproduce the likely sequence of events in a laboratory setting using fresh, post-mortem porcine bowel as an animal model and placing magnetic toy beads within the bowel lumen. Pressure-induced perforation appeared extremely rapidly, replicating the operative findings in two of our cases. We propose that if magnet ingestion is suspected, early endoscopic or surgical retrieval is mandatory. Appropriate, rapid surgical intervention is indicated. Laparoscopy offers a minimally invasive therapeutic option. DA - 2014 DB - OpenUCT DP - University of Cape Town J1 - South African Medical Journal LK - https://open.uct.ac.za PY - 2014 T1 - The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads TI - The risks of gastrointestinal injury due to ingested magnetic beads UR - http://hdl.handle.net/11427/29913 ER - en_ZA


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record