Browsing Other Publications by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 20 of 2965
Results Per Page
- ItemOpen AccessObservations on Fenestration in Brazil(School of Architecture, Planning and Geomatics, University of Cape Town, 1949) Biermann, BarrieThe report was written by UCT Architecture student Barrie Biermann in 1944 and is entitled “Observations on Fenestration in Brazil“. The report resulted from his study visit to Brazil as the first recipient of the Helen Gardner Memorial Travel Prize in UCT’s School of Architecture.
- ItemOpen AccessFunding on energy research and development in South Africa(1981) Dutkiewicz, Ryszard KarolAn analysis is made of the funding on energy research and development in South Africa and is compared with the funding of seventeen countries making up the International Energy Agency. The survey is incomplete because of the lack of adequate accounting methods in certain organisations supplying statistics which did not allow for a sub-division into energy and other funding. It is also incomplete because certain organisations were unwilling to give information because of fear of contravening the Petroleum Act. An analysis of research funding by private industry, and especially by overseas controlled companies, has shown that very little is done in this country, most companies preferring to rely on research carried out by their parent companies overseas. Sufficient information was obtained to show that with the exception of funding for nuclear power South Africa's research effort is below that of most countries of the IEA. This is especially true of funding on coal research where South Africa should, in terms of its position as a major coal exporting country, and because of its heavy reliance on domestic coal consumption, be one of the world's leaders in coal research. However, only Italy, of the 17 IEA countries, spends less on coal research in terms of funding per ton of coal mined. In the field of research into renewable energy forms South Africa is far behind any of the other countries considered.
- ItemOpen AccessAn energy supply and demand model for South Africa(1981) Silberberg, R B; Dutkiewicz, Ryszard Karol; Bennett, Kevin
- ItemOpen AccessEnergy consumption patterns in underdeveloped areas in South Africa(1986) Eberhard, Anton
- ItemOpen AccessA technical, economic and social analysis of alternative water pumping technologies for underdeveloped rural areas(1987) Wiseman, K; Eberhard, A
- ItemOpen AccessCalorific values and combustion characteristics of South Africa grown fuel woods(1988) Eberhard, Anton
- ItemOpen AccessThe use of alien woody biomass for low cost small scale charcoal production(1989) Shaw, G D H
- ItemOpen AccessA guide to technology selection and planning for village water supplies utilising groundwater and spring water sources(1989) Wiseman, KeithProviding a clean, potable supply of water is a critical problem in remote or underdeveloped rural areas. Water is needed for drinking, cooking, washing and bathing, but is often only available from traditional sources such as springs, rivers or ponds. These water sources are in most cases contaminated by livestock and cattle, and situated far from homesteads. During dry periods they often dwindle or dry up completely.
- ItemOpen AccessOff-grid small power supply options for rural areas(1989) William, A T
- ItemOpen AccessEnergy alternatives for the supply of water in Namaqualand (Progress report)(1990) Eberhard, AntonThe objective of this project is to investigate appropriate water supply alternatives for underdeveloped rural areas with reference to a specific case study of an equivalent diesel and photovoltaic water pumping installation at Rietpoort in Namaqualand .
- ItemOpen AccessEnergy use in low-income dwellings in the winter rainfall area(1990) Viljoen, R P
- ItemOpen AccessProgress Report: Namaqualand household energy survey(1990) Eberhard, A A
- ItemOpen AccessElectricity for all in South Africa: The need and the means(1990) Dingley, C E
- ItemOpen AccessTechnical and economic change in the South African stem boiler stock(1991) Botha, P C; Dutkiewicz, R K